Sunday, June 16, 2013

Free Hugs Tour Day 2

Day 2 included a lot of late night hugs and activities so therefore I am writing about day 2 a little bit after day 2 has happened.  On day 2 I hiked 3 miles from my hotel where I stayed last night to my friend Will's house.  When I got there at about 12:00 Will wasn't there yet, he had work, so one of his housemates, James, let me in.  He then had to leave for a wedding he had to go to at 1:00.   Will and his other housemate Will came back and we chatted for a little bit and my friend Will took me out to an amazing all you can eat sushi and buffet dinner (the lunch special was 12.95 for all of this).  We connected with our waitress who was a psychology student with a spanish minor at University of Wisconsin in Milwaukee (UWM).  We got to hug, bond over some philosophy and I gave her a business card.  Will and I also got to exchange some free hugging ideas over some fantastic sushi.  
We then went back to the house where I took a nap and Will did some work before going outside of some bars and hugging people.  We met a lot of really awesome and cool people.  Total hugs Day 2 was 47. 

Highlights: 
1) Meeting Tim, a cancer survivor who now is fighting cancer again.
2) Eating amazing sushi with my buddy Will.
3) Watching V for Vendetta with Will and some of the Orientation Leaders from UWM 
4) Taking a good nap. 

Learned: 
The quality and time spent giving away hugs and interacting creating community is just as important as giving and receiving lots of hugs.  Sometimes the more intimate and longer lasting conversations have more of an impact.  Being too overeager to get a set amount of hugs detracts from the quality of each hugging experience.  Tim reminded me of the power of just one hug, and the huge impact it can really have in this world.  

Day 3 coming your way soon!! Lots of new and exciting stuff! 

Hugs, 
David Melia 
Professional Free Hugger

No comments:

Post a Comment