Saturday, June 29, 2013

Day 13/14/15 (June 26,27,28)

Day 13 (Travel to Portland)

Summary:
Today I checked out of the Green Tortoise Hostel at about 11:00 and chilled out at Starbucks until about 1.  I then walked the mile to arrive at King Street Amtrak Station where I would catch my train to Portland at 5:30.  The waiting was a little much especially with the lack of wifi at the station, but I made my decision to come super early and I stuck with it.  I got on the train and had some really awesome conversation with the person sitting next to me (I never got her name) covering topics large and wide.  It made my day hands down.  I learned a lot.  I still have to sort through it all when I am done with Leaky Con.  I arrived in Portland at 9:00 and was picked up at the station by my family before we went to get dinner at Laughing Planet.  They had some good root beer and quesadilla's.  We wrote an awesome note to the working, thanking them for being awesome.  We then drove back to the hotel and went to sleep.

Highlights:
1) Train ride conversation about everything and philosophy and awesomeness and anything and everything and Harry Potter.
2) Seeing my family.

Lowlights:
1) Long waiting and boring stuff.
2) Expensive vending machine food is bad.
3) Didn't get as much work done as I would have liked.

Learned:
1) Laughing Planet is awesome.
2) Portland is beautiful.
3) My family is awesome.

Day 14 (Leaky Con Day One)

Summary:
Today my family and I went to the Oregon Convention Center where Leaky Con is being held and I meet up with some friends that I met at last year's convention.  I then went to a couple of meetup's and ended the night at about 10:30 in order to be able to get up early in order to attempt to get wristbands for the actor signing later on day two.  We got to bed around midnight.

Highlights:
1) Kristen Hippe's music at the Wizard Rock Concert.  (Find out more here: kirstyn.bandcamp.com)
2) Meeting up with my free hugging friend Dylan from Leaky Con last year.
3) Meeting lots of amazing cool people and spreading peace, love and happiness through hugs :)
4) Welcoming Ceremony skit at Leaky Con.

Lowlights:
1) Missing Ministry of Magic's performance at the rock concert.

Learned:
1) I rediscovered why I loved Leaky Con so much.
2) Leaky Con is a lovely place to hug.

Day 15 (Leaky Con Day Two)

Summary:
Toady was the start of all the much anticipated bulk of programming.  I went to a lot of really interesting and thought provoking panels, presentations, and meetups.  My family and I got up at 7:00 to get to the convention center to try and get signing wrist bands for some of the Harry Potter actors.  The rest of the day was a jumble of hugs, Harry Potter, friends, interesting conversation, collaboration, brainstorming, and wizard rock.


Highlights:
1) Hugging Stephanie Perkins when I got her to sign my hat and gave her my finished free hugs book.
2) Getting amazing hugs from awesome people at Leaky Con.
3) Hank Green talking about engineering and why there are so many more men in that field that women.
4) Attending amazing panels.
5) Meeting Andrew Slack and giving him a hug.
6) Talking to Dylan about possibly reigniting the free hugs community and movement!

Lowlights:
1) There can be nothing bad about Leaky Con! (The lines allow for more connection and friendships to be made, it is all positive)

Learned:
1) The L shake.  A high five but with your elbows!
2) Everyday people are just as interesting or maybe even more interesting than celebrities.  (It's the concept of Everyday Celebrities a topic which I will go into in greater detail in a future blog post)


No comments:

Post a Comment