Saturday, July 13, 2013

Day 27/28/29 (July 10/11/12)

Day 27 (July 10)

Summary:
Today was a traveling day.  I checked out of my hostel at 8:00 am and headed down to the Los Angeles Union Station for my 7:30 pm train to San Diego.  I then hiked to a Starbucks to receive internet access.  After I was there for about an hour, I remembered that I had forgotten my retainer at the hostel.  Luckily I had enough time to take the train back to my hostel and pickup my retainer before my train left.  I arrived back at the hostel to pick up my retainer at about 2:00 pm and gave the receptionist a hug and gave her a copy of my book to check out.  I then went back to wait for my train.  As I was waiting I met a group going to orange county that gave me some hugs and were interested in my Free Hugs Tour, so I talked to them for a little bit before boarding the train to San Diego.  The train left a half hour late at 8:00 pm.  I arrived in San Diego at 10:15 and was picked up by my San Diego host. Total today I received 6 hugs.

Highlights:
1) Connecting with some of the USA Hostel employee's when I went back to get my retainer.

Lowlights:
1) Waiting is boring.

Learned:
1) I should have a better plan for travel days and be more organized and planned out.

Day 28 (July 11)

Summary:
Today was my first day in San Diego.  It was an exploring day.  I went downtown and scoped out the place.  There was not a place that was teaming with lots of people walking down the street so I decided to walk around and just explore what I could explore.  I also found a Starbucks and sent some emails and did some research for trying to find ways to fund a future Free Hugs Documentary tour that a friend I met on this trip and I are planning.  Total today I gave away and received 30 hugs.

Highlights:
1) Getting over 12 hugs.
2) Exploring San Diego.
3) Meeting some people and hugging in Old Town.

Lowlights:
1) Not being able to find a place where I felt comfortable standing and hugging.

Learned:
1) I am learning the difference between a free hugs outing and living the free hugs lifestyle through living the day open to free hugs.  A free hugs outing is dedicated to standing in a place/holding a sign and having a couple hours just dedicated to giving away hugs whereas walking around with a free hugs t-shirt and having interested people approach you while traveling or explaining my free hugging projects while going about exploring, it doesn't allow for as many hugs, but it allows for the realization of the Free Hugs Lifestyle that I began to explore in my book.

Day 29 (July 12)

Summary:
Today I went to downtown San Diego again and walked around.  I also did some computer organization at Starbucks before walking around in an attempt to give away free hugs.  I received 6 hugs today just walking around and two of the people that I met said that I made their day which made me feel good.  I ate dinner at California Pizza Kitchen in Fashion Mall. When I was on my way back to my host's house I met a couple of people who I hugged, one was on a run and the other was on his way to a restaurant with someone whom I perceived to be his wife.  Total today I received/gave a total of 8 hugs.

Highlights:
1) Dinner at California Pizza Kitchen.
2) Finding potential grant opportunities for next summers free hugging trip.

Lowlights:
1) Feeling a little bit lonely.

Learned:
1) Red Mango has some of the best frozen yogurt ever and it is disappointing that they don't have any here in San Diego.
2) California Pizza Kitchen has some good pizza.  It was definitely worth the splurge.  It was nice to sit down in a sit down restaurant.  

No comments:

Post a Comment