Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Day 21/22/23 (July 4,5,6)

Day 21 (July 4)

Summary:
Today was an interesting day.  I got up at around 9 and walked around a lot of San Francisco but I wasn't really in a hugging mood and even though it was the 4th, the fact that one of the major train systems, the BART, was experiencing a strike did not help the mood of the city.  I could feel a little bit of annoyance and disruption in the feeling of the city as I was walking around it and trying to find a place to hug.  The disruption in the city coupled with my reentering the street mentality after a weekend of amazing Leaky Con electricity made for an interesting combination of good and bad and nostalgia due to the lack of Chicago quality fireworks.

Highlights:
1) Met a couple of people while I was on the street.
2) Exploring the city and learning more about it for future free hugging trips.
3) Some organizational work was completed. :)

Lowlights:
1) Not too many hugs.
2) Fluctuating moods of the city.
3) Post Leaky Con depression... (it happens to the best of us)

Learned:
1) I should work more on getting all of my stuff into 1 bag only
2) I should have a plan for the first day I get to a city to make the best of it that I can.
3) Free Hugging is a constant learning process that involves times and stretches where hugs are not plentiful.

Day 22 (July 5)

Summary:
Today I left for Los Angeles.  My bus to Emeryville Amtrak station left at 12:45.  I then caught a train and another bus to arrive in Los Angeles at 10:00.  While on the train and bus I met a couple of really cool people, one was interested in where I got my Osprey backpack (a great and comfortable pack if I do say so myself).  I also met a couple of people while on the bus who I was able to tell about my free hugs trip as well.  I was also able to finish a book that I was reading.  I then took a taxi to get to USA Hostel, the hostel that I booked earlier in the day for my time in Los Angeles because I couldn't find a place to stay through couch surfing.  I got to the hostel at about 11:00 and then went to bed to get ready for tomorrow.

Highlights:
1)  Finishing a book.
2) Spreading Free Hugs love with traveling people. :)

Lowlights:
1) Taking a taxi rather than just taking the train and saving almost 30 dollars.
2) Having to spend the money for a hostel while in Los Angeles.

Learned:
1) One bag would be a lot less hassle than 2 bags.
2) I need to start visiting the grocery store more.  
3) I probably have said this before, but I need to figure out how I am getting to places before I get there.
4) Research is good.

Day 23 (July 6)

Summary:
Today I walked around Hollywood a little bit and got a feel for the area.  It was interesting, a lot different than I was expecting.  Los Angeles has a unique and interesting feel to it.  A lot of the people here are not as open as a lot of other places that I have been to.  I did not get many hugs at all and the response was a lot less than what I was expecting.  It was a pretty disappointing day but on the bright side, I am learning interesting and useful things. :)

Highlights:
1) Exploration.

Lowlights:
1) The realization of the complexity vastness of Los Angeles.

Learned:
1) Transit in Los Angeles takes forever.
2) A car is a thing to have in Los Angeles.
3) There are reasons why I love Chicago so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment