Thursday, July 11, 2013

Day 24/25/26 (July 7/8/9)

Day 24 (July 7)

Summary:
Today I went to try and find a Free Hugger from Los Angeles to meet up with but I couldn't find the other Free Hugger.  I then went to a nearby Starbucks and watched some Burn Notice and searched for online jobs that would allow me to generate an income while I am traveling in order to be able to more fully be engrossed in the process of giving away free hugs and traveling to brighten lives one hug at a time and have the financial means to do so.  I then headed back to the hostel and went to sleep. 

Highlights:
1) Finding some potential jobs that I can do to accumulate money while traveling and spreading love through hugging.

Lowlights:
1) Not being able to see the Free Huggers from Los Angeles

Learned:
1) Communication is good.  I should learn how to do it better.  It allows for people to know what they are doing and meeting up.
2) Los Angeles has a less open feeling than any of the other cities that I have been to. 

Day 25 (July 8)

Summary:
Today I met up with my friend Kyle for breakfast at Denny’s.  It was really cool to get to catch up with him and chat about the difficulties that I had come across hugging in such a radically different city that what I have been used to, growing up in the Midwest and having more experience with some of the other cities that I had been since the tour started.  We came to the conclusion that Chicago is a lot more welcoming and open due to its location in the Midwest whereas Los Angeles due to the presence of the movie industry and its vastness (sometimes it can take 2 hours to get from one side of the city to the other driving, Los Angeles is really spread out) proves for a more spread out and less of a physical openness mentality than a place such as Chicago. 
After Kyle and I had breakfast I went to Starbucks to do some planning work and later in the evening I went over to visit some old work friends of my parents for dinner.  We had an spaghetti dinner prepared by Will and then I played with the kids for a little bit before they had to go to bed.  After they went to bed, the grownup’s had a chance to talk.   It was really cool to hear some of their stories while I was able to share mine.  We exchanged some ideas and are going to keep in touch.  Will then drove me back to my hostel and I went to bed around 11:00. 

Highlights:
1) Meeting up with some friends and family friends.
2) Amazing spaghetti dinner
3) Fun time playing with kids
4) Good conversations with crazy awesome people. 

Lowlights:
1) Probably the lack of giving away free hugs but all the good stuff outweighs this by more than a mile.

Learned:
1) Connecting with people is awesome.  Deep conversations and getting in depth to the psyche of a city is something that is very beneficial especially for knowing how to approach Free Hugging for the most positive impact in the city rather than giving negative free hugs (Free Hugs book reference J )

Day 26 (July 9)

Summary:
Today I watched a lot of Burn Notice and did some job hunting stuff as well.  In the evening my friend, who I met in December at Intervarsity’s Urbana Conference in St. Louis, picked me up and took me to one of her favorite spots in Hollywood.  We then went to In-N-Out Burger for dinner where we met two German travelers who we shared In-N-Out Burger and conversation with.  Wendy then drove me back to my hostel, we got one last picture and a hug and now I am going to sleep to get ready for traveling to San Diego tomorrow!! J

Wendy, me, and the Hollywood Sign



Highlights:
1)    Meeting up with Wendy from Urbana Conference. 
2) Eating at In-N-Out Burger
3)  Meeting and giving hugs to some people we met at In and out burger from Germany.

Lowlights:
1) Not being able to get to sleep due to excitement.

Learned:
1) There are some really cool people that live in Los Angeles.
2) Los Angeles takes a little getting used to but once you start to understand it, it’s not as overwhelming as it is when you first arrive.
3)  Los Angeles started to grow on me a little tiny bit the last couple of days that I was here.  It wasn’t much but it definitely surprised me.

No comments:

Post a Comment