Thursday, July 4, 2013

Day 19/20 (July 2/3)

Day 19 (July 2)

Summary:
Today my family and I went to Powells book store before dropping me off at the Portland Amtrak station to wait for my 2:25 train to Emeryville and bus to San Francisco.  I bought a philosophical book explaining (from what I gather) how to set up a 'Socrates Cafe' or club where people can just talk and love philosophy and question everything and get really excited about it and crazy Philosophical geeky stuff like that, which excites me, as a philosophy major. Here is a picture of the book I bought and a magnet that I could not pass up.


If you didn't know this before, I am an avid duct tape crafter and creator, including wallets, hats, bags, and a duct tape prom tux.
The Train got to the station at about 2:40, I boarded and spent the rest of the night watching tv shows that I had on my computer and doing some writing.

Highlights:
1) Powells Bookstore.
2) Spending time with family.
3) I found Wifi at the train station.
4) I briefly met a couple of people at the station.
5) Giving away a hug on the train.

Lowlights:
1) Saying goodbye to my family for another 70 days and my brother for another 5-6 months.  (He will be at school by the time I get back from my tour.)
2) Waiting for the train was pretty boring, I wasn't really in the mood to engage in conversation.

Learned:
1) I miss my family more than I really thought I did.
2) My sister is a really good free hugger, watching her the past few days at Leaky Con was awesome.  (She is about the same age right now as I was when I started giving away free hugs.  It's really interesting to watch her learn some of the stuff that I have learned in my giving away free hugs, but on her own.)

Day 20 (July 3)

Summary:
I arrived at the Emeryville, California station at 9:45 am and boarded the bus taking me to San Francisco.  I then arrived at about 10:15 and found a Starbucks get breakfast and sit down to get some work done.  I left Starbucks at 6:00 pm to head to the host house where I was staying.  Once I got to the house I met some of the people that live there and the rest of the night was getting to know them and awesome conversation about hugs and human connectedness.  I slept amazingly on the couch and was super comfortable.

Highlights:
1) Getting a lot of work done including blog posts, writing, and taking a couple surveys.
2) Having pictures to share on this blog post.

Lowlights:
1) Not having a plan for storing my stuff when I got into town.

Learned:
1) I need to have more planned for the first day/ find locations to stash my stuff for durring the day while waiting for getting to places that I will sleep in order to maximize Free Hugging time.  (I still have to figure out how and where)
2) Getting on the computer and being productive feels really good, almost as good as a bunch of hugs.  Being productive is hugging yourself. :)
3) I am using pictures in my posts now!! Exciting!

Today is July 4 and I am checking out my surroundings finding a good place to stop and hug.  I'll update you about the day later.  Happy 4th!

Hugs,
David Melia
Professional Free Hugger

No comments:

Post a Comment