Friday, June 24, 2011

The need to write.

Rainer Maria Rilke once said "Find out the reason that commands you to write; see whether it has spread its roots into the very depth of your heart; confess to yourself you would have to die if you were forbidden to write."
I have graduated from high school 8 days ago so naturally all I have been doing is sitting around and watching tv shows on Netflix. While doing this I have thought about writing and how much I enjoy it. I love writing. I really do. It helps clear your mind when it is full of crap and clutter. It's like organizing a really messy house, the house being where the mind lives... in the brain.. if that makes any sense. Even though I love to write and have taken many courses in school that have been focused on writing, I haven't dug deep down and found the "reason that commands (me) to write...that I would die if I were forbidden to write". I have felt better after writing and more organized but I have not taken the time to sit down and write whats on my mind for a while. I like to blame school for taking up all of my time with pointless exercises and assignments, but it's not entirely schools fault. I haven't taken the time to sit down and write. I hope that with this confession I will be able to take more time to sit down and write about my thoughts and engage with my audience, and hopefully become more organized with my beliefs. Here is to a fresh start.

"Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves, like locked rooms and like books that are now written in a very foreign tongue. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer." Rainer Maria Rilke

No comments:

Post a Comment